Any person living in Sawyer County, Birchwood, Cable, Springbrook, or Stone Lake is eligible to receive assistance from HCFS. Each Social Security number must be verified annually by an official Social Security card or other legal document containing the number.
Individuals receive a three-day supply of food. Every attempt is made to provide the ingredients for well-balanced meals.
Clients may receive assistance one time each month. Some clients receive assistance only once while others need assistance monthly for many years.
Fifty-one percent (51%) of our clients are adults between the ages of 18 and 59, children make up thirty-one percent (31%) and the remaining eighteen percent (18%) are seniors. Our clients come from a wide variety of situations. Some are disabled, some are working, and some simply cannot find gainful employment in this area. Our average family size is 2.5 individuals.
“Best Before” Date Expired?
Some food items you receive may be past the “Best Before” dates printed on the package. “Best Before” dates do not mean a product is expired. Except for infant formula, dates are not an indicator of the product’s safety.
- “Best if Used By/Before”indicates when a product will be of best flavor or quality. It is not a purchase or safety date.
- “Sell-By” date tells the store how long to display the product for sale for inventory management. It is not a safety date.
- “Use-By”date is the last date recommended for the use of the product while at peak quality. It is not a safety date except for when used on infant formula.
For more information, review guidelines at: https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/food-labeling/food-product-dating/food-product-dating
When is the food shelf open?
Every Monday and the first Saturday of the month
(except holidays) from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
- If the Hayward Public Schools announce a delayed opening or an emergency closing, all HCFS programs WILL be closed for that same time period.
- If the schools are closed for vacation and the weather and/or roads are very poor, the Hayward Community Food Shelf MAY be closed.
- Watch the Duluth television stations or listen to any of these radio stations for the announcement: WOJB – 88.9 FM, WHSM – 101.1 FM, WRLS – 92.3 FM